- The beginning of the Chungnyeolsa is as follows : The Songgongsa was built on Nongju mountain to enshrine the Dongnae Magistrate, Song Sang Hyeon, by Magistrate, Yun Hwon in 1605. It became to be hold a memorial service annually to admire Song Sang Hyeon who sacrificed himself for his country in the Japanese Occupation(1910-45).
After then, the name of Songgongsa was changed to the Chungnyeolsa by a proposal of Lee Min Gu in 1624 ( the 2nd year of the reign of King Injo ). The Dongnae Magistrate, Yun Mun Geo insisted that its location was not right because the shrine was too small, damp and noisy. Thus it was moved into its present location in Allak-li. After then a large shrine was built with halls and eastern and western room. It was called Allakseowon. The yearly memorial service was not held permitted during the Japanese Occupation.
The Japanese thought that it encouraged Korean Independence. A memorial hall and Sau(room to enshrine ancestral tablets) were left in disrepair during the Japanese Occupation.
The ancestral tablets of 91persons, who fell in battle in the Busan area, were enshrined. Now a memorial service is held annually on May 25 by the citizens of Busan.
Chungryeol Shrine was first built in 1605 (the 38th year of King Seonjo) by Yun Hweon, governor of Dongnaebusa then, to honor Sir Song Sang Hyeon, governor of Dongnaebusa, who died fighting Japanese invaders. The shrine was initially located on the Nongju Mountain near the south gate of Dongnae-eup Mount Fortress and was called Songgongsa Shrine, which kept Sir Song’s spirit tablet. People pay him respect by holding a memorial service every year.
Yi Min Gu, a government official, requested the king to change the name of the shrine, and King Injo granted his request in 1624 (the 2nd year of his rule) and changed Songgongsa to Chungryeolsa Shrine.
In 1652 (the 3rd year of King Hyojong) Yun Mun-geo, governor of Dongnaebusa then, felt the shrine was too small and damp and was too close to the fortress gate, being subject to too much noise. Also, he felt that it was necessary to teach young scholars the scholarship and fealty of Sir Song Sang-hyeon, which would remain exemplary to future generations. Out of these necessities, the shrine was moved to the current location in Anrak-dong. After the shrine was newly built, two additional buildings were built in the east and west for the purpose of holding classes, and the shrine was subsequently renamed Anrakseowon (Anrak School).
But during the Japanese occupation, Japanese rulers felt that the memorial services held in February and August every year as well as the education given at the school fostered the national spirit, and the Japanese interfered with the shrine activities. Over the period of 36 years of Japanese occupation, the shrine building and the sanctuary building in which the spirit tablet was housed were not maintained but fell into disrepair.
During the period of purification from 1976 to 1978 of Japanese influence, the shrine was renovated to the current condition. Ninety two tablets of the forebears who died or who rendered distinguished service to their country during the Japanese invasion in 1592 in Busan are venerated on May 25 by Busan residents in a memorial service.
In 1592, Japanese soldiers attacked the Dongnae-eup Fortress, demanding that Sir Song Sang-hyeong let them pass through, meaning surrender. Sir Song threw a wooden board at the Japanese, on which his statement was inscribed, “It would be easier to die fighting than let you have passage.” and fought till death.
- Cultural property : Busan Tagible Culturl Property No.7
- Designated on June 26, 1972
- Location : 838, Anrak-dong, Dongnae-gu, Busan
- Telephone number : 051-523-4233
- Website : cys.busan.go.kr