During the Joseon period, this was the gate of the office of the Dongnae Magistrate. This gate reflects the military importance of Dongnae-bu in the late of Joseon period., Dongnae-bu was not far from Japan, so it is an important place for national defense and diplomacy. Japanese envoys were received at the Dongnae Magistrate's office. Compared with other towns, there were many large government offices.
It is presumed that this gate was first built by Jeong Yang Pil, the Dongnae Magistrate, with the Dongnaebu dongheon. in 1636 ( the 14th year of the reign of King Injo).
After that it was rebuilt many times. But the present gate was rebuilt by Jeong Hyeon Deok, the Dongnae Magistrate in 1870 ( the 7th year of the reign of King Gojong ). originally it was located behind the Mangmiru, gate tower but was moved to the present location when the Japanese rezoned the city. A signboard reading "Dongnae Dokjindaeamun" was hung up in the middle of the tall three gates. The letters mean the Gate of the Independent Fortress of Dongnae. This signifies military right of Dongnae became independent of the Gyeongju fortress in 1655.
It is a small but a rare building which has three gates. It is an L-shaped building with three rooms in the front part and one in the rear. It has a tall roof and single eaves.
Cultural property : Busan Tangible Cultural Property No.5
Designated on June 26, 1972
Location : San 20-4, Oncheon-dong, Dongnae-gu, Busan