Go to the contents



History of Dongnae

Dongnae-gu belonged to Geochilsanguk in Samhan era, to Dongnae-gun in Silla era, to Dongnae-hyeon in Goryeo and to Dongnae-bu in Joseon era and covered almost every part of present Busan Metropolitan City area. It was merged into the Busan-bu in 1910 with the establishment of Busan-bu and revived as Dongnae-gun in 1914 and covered Yeonje, Haeundae, Geumjeong, Buk, Sasang, Saha, Busanjin, and Suyeong-gu but it was merged into Busan with the establishment of Busan-bu Dongnae branch office in 1942 and it has been maintained up to now.

As Dongnae was merged into Busan and growed in its scale, including so many cultural assets, Dongnae spa, and Geumgang Park, it became the center of education and transportation of Busan Metropolitan City. To meet the growing tasks, Dongnae-gu split Suyeong branch and Haeundae branch office into the branch office under direct control of Busan city in 1975 and 1976. The Geumjeong-gu was divided from Dongnae-gu in 1988 and the Yeonje-gu was divided from Dongnae-gu on Mar.1, 1995. As we surveyed, the Dongnae-gu is very famous for its long history and tradition.

Prior to 1940s

Prior to 1940s

  • Two thousand years ago, Dongnae was called Dokroguk, Jangsanguk, or Geochilsanguk
  • 757 Dongnae becomes Dongnae-gun in the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok of Silla Kingdom.
  • Two thousand years ago, Dongnae was called Dokroguk, Jangsanguk, or Geochilsanguk
  • 757 Dongnae becomes Dongnae-gun in the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok of Silla Kingdom.
  • 1018 Dongnae becomes Dongnae-hyeon in the 9th year of King Hyeon of Goryeo Kingdom.
  • 1387 Dongnae Fortress is constructed in the 13th year of King Wu of Goryeo Kingdom.
  • 1397 Dongnae Camp is established in the 6th year of King Taejo of the Joseon Dynasty and remains until May 1968.
  • 1547 Dongnae becomes Dongnae-bu/ Doho-bu in the 2nd year of King Myeongjong of the Joseon Dynasty. The Dongnae Fortress falls to the Japanese invaders in 1592. Dongnae is downgraded to Dongnae-hyeon.
  • 1599 Dongnae’s status is raised to Dongnae Doho-bu.
  • 1636 Dongnae-bu Dongheon (place where officials conducted administrative duties) is established.
  • 1655 Dokjin in Dongnae-bu is set up.
  • 1742 The watchtower and General Song’s Shrine are built.
  • 1764 Jo Eom who served as the governor of Dongnae-bu brings sweet potato seeds.
  • 1766 The Onjeong-gaegeon Monument is erected.
  • 1907 Dongnae Public High School opens.
  • 1910 Railroad for light weight trains goes into operation between Busanjin and Dongnae.
  • 1914 Entire Gijang and part of Yangsan are incorporated into Dongnae-gun.
  • 1915 Dongnae Police Station opens.
  • 1919 The March 1st Independent Movement in Dongnae takes place.
  • 1923. 6 A new hot spring public bath house is built, which had been in existence since the period of the Joseon Dynasty.

In 1940s

  • 1942.10 The Dongnae branch office opens due to reshuffling of the administrative district.
  • 1946.10 Sub-districts with Japanese names are renamed in Korean.

In 1950s

  • 1957.1 Dongnae is raised to the status of Dongnae-gu.

In 1960s

  • 1963. 1 Busan becomes a city directly supervised by the central government and Dongnae redefines the boundary.
  • 1965.12 A new road is built between Dongnae and Gupo, to be more specific, from Oncheon-dong to Mandeok Hill
  • 1967.04 Cable cars at the Geumgang Park are put into operation
  • 1967.10 The zoo at the Geumgang Park opens.
  • 1968.05 Trolleys are put out of service after 58 years of operation.
  • 1968.10 Dongnae-gu government office building is newly built.
  • 1968.12 A big fire breaks out at the Dongnae Market.
  • 1969.03 Busan Folk Arts Preservation Association is founded

In 1970s

  • 1973.11 Mandeok Tunnel #1 opens.
  • 1978.07 Chungryeol Shrine is remodeled

In 1980s

  • 1983.09 Express Bus Terminal relocates from Beomil-dong to Oncheon-dong.
  • 1987.06 Dongbu Intercity Bus Terminal reopens.
  • 1988.01 With the formation of the new district of Geumjeong-gu, 20 sub-districts move.
  • 1988.04 Mandeok Tunnel #2 opens.
  • 1988.05 The self-governing law of local governments no. 4004 goes into effect.

In 1990s

  • 1991.04 Gu Council opens with 44 councilmen.
  • 1991.05 The First Dongnae-gu Residents Day events are held.
  • 1995.01 Busan is raised to the status of a city of a wide area.
  • 1995.03 With the formation of the new district of Yeonje-gu, 13 sub-districts move.
  • 1995.10 The First Dongnae Chungryeol Rite honoring the fallen heroes is held.
  • 1997.06 Dongnae establishes a sister relationship with Gochang-gun in Jeonbuk Province.
  • 1997.11 Dongnae-gu sets up a web site.
  • 1999.06 Dongnae Cyber Tower 2001 opens.
  • 1999.10 Dr. Wu Jang Chun Memorial Hall and Dongnae Culture Hall are open.

In 2000s

  • 2000.01 Sanbokdoro (mountainous road)/Wu Jang Chun Road opens between Minam Rotary and the Botanical Garden.
  • 2002.07 The third general election is held.
  • 2006.07 The fourth general election is held.

방문자 통계